Monday, October 27, 2008

Marine Corps Marathon

Like every straight, twenty-somethin' girl in DC, I love me some military men. So when my friend--the Awesome Overachiever almost Jesus-like one-- mentioned that she was running the (in)famous Marine Corps Marathon I figured that this could be an interesting thing to see.

I would never in a bajillion years have guessed that this was an awesome spectator sport but my roommate and I had a blast cheering on our friend this Sunday. We headed first to the Mall to give A.O. some mid-race encouragement. Luckily, the weather was amazing and cooperative. We proudly cheered and screamed and held up our amazing signs.

The Mall had the advantage of allowing us to see AO twice and then gave us enough time to head up to Rosslyn and cheer her through the finish. Once again I was gobsmacked by the sheer masses of people that had gathered to cheer these people through the race. And it was definitely an infectious atmosphere with people all around you and the fun music and beautiful weather.

AO finished right around 3.5 hours--her goal, I believe. My roommate and I were able to keep track of her movements through the handy text-messaging tracker that we signed up for on the MCM website. Although, it told us about an hour after she finished that she had, indeed, made it. So, a little fail for the system at the end as it got overwhelmed.

A very fun and interesting way to spend your Sunday morning. Plus, boys in uniform being helpful. I am fully supportive of these types of things

No comments: